Parents often worry that their baby is locking their knees when they first start attempting to stand. This is normal to begin with as they don’t initially have the knee stability needed, so locking their legs allows them to maintain the position.
Why does my baby always stiffen his legs?
The condition of having abnormally stiff muscles that are difficult to move is called hypertonia. In infants, hypertonia can be caused by a multitude of health problems, but typically results from damage to the nervous system. Hypertonia is also a symptom of cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, and kernicterus (jaundice).
Why do some babies walk on their knees?
As children walk and bear more weight on their legs, the bones naturally straighten. New walkers tend to look particularly bowlegged because they bend their knees to help them balance and support their body weight.
Do babies kick their legs when happy?
At this stage she is often happy to smile and interact with strangers because she is getting so much pleasure from smiling and interacting with you. You and she will be having ‘conversations’ with each other, and she will be getting excited at the feeling of you responding to her, and kick her legs and wave her arms.
Do flexible babies walk later?
Walking is often delayed
Hypermobile and low tone infants tend to walk a few months later than usual, sometimes as late as 18-20 months. However, unless the infant has another disorder as well, hypermobile babies eventually walk independently.
How do I know if my baby has Hypertonia?
A baby with muscle tone that is too tight or rigid may have hypertonia.
These signs include:
- Too much tension in the muscles while the baby is at rest.
- Rigid limbs and neck.
- Difficulty bending and stretching the arms, legs and neck.
- Very little or no movement of the limbs and neck.
How do you teach a baby to bend their knees?
Here are some simple things to help increase your baby’s leg strength:
- Kneel on the floor with your baby sitting on your knees in front of a piece of furniture. …
- When your child is standing whilst holding onto furniture, place toys in a box next to them so that they have to bend their knees slightly to reach.
Does walking make knees stronger?
1. Walking. Walking is a low-impact activity that doesn’t put too much stress on your knees and can help strengthen the muscles in that area.